Saturday, April 26, 2008

Viva Las Nasty...

This past week DH and I went away for a few days. We really need to do this more often, but life gets in the way.

Two years ago we went away for a week to New York City and loved it! This year we decided to go to Vegas. We both love playing poker so Vegas just seemed like the obvious choice.

I realize that it is called “Sin City” for a reason and have heard the term “What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas” but didn’t really understand the extent of immorality that exists there.

I have never been modest or prude and consider myself to be quite free spirited, but Vegas was a bit much for me! Everywhere you look there is nudity. When you walk down the street there are guys who wear t-shirts that say “Girls Direct to You” and hand out flyers and business cards with naked women and girl on girl pictures. I knew that prostitution was legal there, but didn’t realize that there would be guys on the street handing out flyers for it! These guys or as we call them “card flickers” are so creepy. As you walk by they flick the cards at you and try to get you to take one. Unfortunately these cards are strewn all over the sidewalks.

The worst thing was people were actually there with their children. What were they thinking? There is nudity everywhere and large screens with women pole dancing and stripping, not to mention the cards that were littering the sidewalk every couple of feet. I watched as a young boy walking with his mother was just mesmerized by these cards. It was sad to me that at such a young age he was seeing all of this!

We played poker in several card rooms, but it seems like what we did most is just WALK. The thing is, Vegas itself could be fun if they would clean it up a bit.

We saw Ka - Cirque du Soleil and it was amazing! What an awesome experience! On the last night there we decided that we had played enough poker and went to the movie Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Jason Segel of How I Met Your Mother wrote and starred in this movie. It was *very* funny although now it will be a little weird watching How I Met Your Mother now that I have seen Marshall’s “junk”.

New York City was a blast, Vegas was a bust. I did *love* spending time with my hunk of a husband and realize we need to do this more often. He is so fun to be around and always makes me laugh! While I didn't like Vegas, the time with DH was great!

1 comment:

Karen of TX said...

I've heard that Las Vegas has gotten much worse over the last few years. They tried being family friendly about ten years ago, and decided there wasn't enough money in it. It's an icky city to me.

Finally saw Little Miss Sunshine! Sorry it took so long!